Sponsoring Agency: Government of Alberta
Type of Fund: Grant
Deadline Available: Available
Deadline Date (mm/dd/yyyy): 05/31/2021
Size of the Fund: Less than USD $50,000
The Government of Alberta is accepting applications for its 2021 Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant to offer financial assistance to Alberta businesses, cooperatives, and non-profit organizations that were ordered to close or curtail operations as a result of public health orders, and that experienced a revenue reduction of at least 30 per cent due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
• The Government of Alberta has committed a maximum of $350 million in funding for this phase of the program.
• For the Spring 2021 program reopening, eligible organizations may receive a one-time grant payment of up to $10,000, based on the revenue amounts indicated.
To be eligible, an Alberta business, cooperative, or non-profit organization must meet ALL of the following criteria:
• Be one of the following legal entities as of March 31, 2021:
o Corporation registered under the Business Corporations Act (Alberta);
o Partnership registered under the Partnership Act (Alberta); Sole proprietor with a trade name registered under the Partnership Act (Alberta);
o Unregistered sole proprietor with documentation to demonstrate the existence of business operations prior to the applicable date;
o Corporation incorporated under a special act or a private act of the Alberta legislature;
o Non-profit registered under a special act or a private act of the Alberta legislature;
o Non-profit registered under part 9 of the Companies Act (Alberta);
o Society registered under the Societies Act (Alberta) or the Agricultural Societies Act (Alberta); and
o Cooperative registered under the Cooperatives Act (Alberta).
• Maintain a permanent establishment (as defined in Appendix I) in Alberta, be established under at least one of the above acts/legislation and be in good standing with the requirements of the applicable legislation;
• Be carrying on business/operations or were eligible to carrying on business/operations in Alberta as of March 31, 2021;
• Have fewer than 500 employees (full time + part time + contract);
o Seasonal businesses may use the number of employees from the year prior to when the COVID-19 public health orders were introduced, or the average number of employees over the three years prior to the COVID-19 public health orders introduced.
• Must have been required to temporarily close or curtail operations due to the April 2021COVID-19 public health orders and be able to detail how and when operations were required to be closed or curtailed.
• Have experienced a reduction in revenue of at least 30 per cent as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
o Businesses, non-profits and cooperatives that commenced operations on or before February 29, 2020 must demonstrate a year-over-year revenue reduction comparing a month between November 2019 and April 2020 to the same month in the following year.
o New businesses, non-profits and cooperatives that commenced operations between March 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021 must demonstrate a month-over-month revenue reduction when comparing a month between April 2020 and April 2021 to any month between November 2020 and April 2021.
o Seasonal businesses that only operate for part of the year may must demonstrate a revenue reduction when comparing their average monthly sales revenue for the full months they were in operation during 2019 and to their average monthly sales revenue for the full months they were in operation during 2020.
• Are open or plan to reopen as public health orders are lifted through Alberta’s phased relaunch.
More information at: https://www.alberta.ca/sme-relaunch-grant.aspx