Sponsoring Agency: Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC)
Deadline Available: Available
Deadline Date (mm/dd/yyyy): 05/05/2021
Size of the Fund: More than $1 Million
UK registered businesses can apply for a share of up to £25 million for UK-developed late-stage R&D, to support growth in advanced low carbon propulsion capability in the automotive sector and its’ associated supply chain.
The Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC) invests up to £30 million, up to 3 times a year, in collaborative research and development (R&D) projects. These are pre-production match-funded projects. In this round APC is investing £25 million.
Your project must concentrate on the automotive market as its primary application.
APC 18 is looking for:
• projects that support the UK’s long-term capabilities through securing long-term R&D investment
• projects that can be achieved through its associated supply chain in the design, build and manufacture of zero tailpipe emission vehicles
Your project will preferably deliver both of these, to ensure the UK meets the future demand of vehicle-makers.
The aim of this competition is to seek proposals for collaborative R&D projects. These must demonstrate the development of on-vehicle technologies, (including material, product and manufacturing processes) for on or off-road vehicles.
Your project must address one of the following:
• Accelerate the development of technologies capable of low and zero tailpipe emissions, considering their associated ‘cradle to grave’ supply chains, up to and including end of life.
• Demonstrate a significant reduction in carbon dioxide emissions leading to air quality improvements.
Technologies in scope are:
• power electronics
• alternative propulsion systems
Your project must support the growth of these technologies, creating more jobs and capability throughout the UK supply chain.
Your project must focus on one or more of the following strategic technology themes. You must determine which technology or technologies best represent your project:
• alternative propulsion systems
• electric machines and power electronics
• energy storage and energy management
• lightweight vehicle and powertrain structures
• thermal propulsion systems that deliver substantial improvements
• significant reduction in vehicle development timescales
• digitisation for development of low carbon vehicle innovation
• Your project must:
o have total eligible costs between £5 million and £40 million
o be a minimum of 50% match funded
o start by 1 November 2021
o last between 18 and 42 months
• Lead organisation
o To lead a project your organisation must:
• be UK registered business of any size
• have an active registered business base in the UK
• be a grant recipient
• involve at least one SME if the lead is not one
• include in your consortium a vehicle manufacturer or tier 1 supplier who supplies parts directly to an original equipment manufacturer (OEM)
• collaborate with others
• carry out its project work in the UK
• intend to exploit the results from or in the UK
• Academic institutions and research organisations cannot lead projects.
Number of applications
There are no limits on the number of applications an organisation can be involved in.
More information at: https://apply-for-innovation-funding.service.gov.uk/competition/864/overview#summary