Sponsoring Agency: Danish Business Authority
Type of Fund: Challenges, Competitions or Prizes
Deadline Available: Available
Deadline Date (mm/dd/yyyy): 04/23/2021
Size of the Fund: Not Available
Do you have an innovative digital or data-driven solution that can help create a circular city? A city where businesses and people work together to make the most of their resources? An inclusive city, in which designing for circularity means providing new jobs and opportunities for all communities and citizens? If yes, then apply for the Circular Innovation City Challenge!
CICC is an innovation partnership between the cities of Toronto, Amsterdam, Glasgow, Copenhagen, and New Your City, in collaboration with the Ellen MacArthur Foundation and the World Circular Economy Forum. It is facilitated by the Danish Business Authority, Danish Design Center, and Leaderlab.
If your circular solution can create an impact socially and lower the carbon footprint for cities globally, for example by:
• Providing data on product and material flows in the city that will help design out waste in businesses and communities.
• Facilitating circular business models e.g. through digital platforms enabling product-as-a-service, leasing, or take-back systems.
• Making it easier for small and medium-sized businesses in the city to support product and material reuse, repair, and recycling.
• Facilitating circular living for citizens and thriving neighborhoods through digital platforms enabling ocal action and engagement.
• Creating and supporting local resource loops in the city between different businesses, sectors, and communities.
The following three innovation areas are shared across all partner cities. Your solution can have its impact within one, or across more of them – but these are main areas of focus.
• Facilitating circular business models through data on materials, products & resource flows in our cities
• Making local businesses drivers of circular, thriving & climate neutral cities
• Creating thriving, resilient communities through new ways of sharing, co-owning & managing cities’ resources
• They are seeking from early prototype to market-ready innovative solutions, with the potential to significantly strengthen our ability to create a circular, climate neutral, and thriving city. Your solution can be cross-sector or focus on specific areas such as plastics, food, construction, textile, or others. It can focus on direct material reductions or on business and consumer behaviour. The most important thing is that your solution is digital or data-driven at its core, and responds to one or more challenge areas.
• The challenge is a global call to action for innovators and entrepreneurs, businesses, and organisations. They invite and encourage all types of innovators globally to apply and to help us find the answers to create better and more circular cities.
• Given the global COVID19 situation the challenge program and activities are designed to be based on virtual participation, so travel will not be mandatory.
Your innovation will be evaluated based on its potential to create a significant impact on the innovation areas. The following criteria will be used to guide the review of your innovation:
• Transformative potential
o The solution’s overall potential for creating significant
• Circular & climate impact
o The solution’s potential for impact on increasing circular resource flows and lowering climate impact.
• Community & social impact
o The solution’s potential for creating thriving cities and creating new opportunities for diverse communities in the city.
• Technical feasibility
o The technical feasibility of bringing the solution to market.
• Financial feasibility
o Your company or initiative’s ability to demonstrate a pathway to profit or sustained operations, if a non-profit initiative.
• Scale & replicability
o The solution’s potential and ability to scale and to be replicated across different cities and urban contexts.
More information at: https://www.circularinnovation.city/challenge