Sponsoring Agency: The Globe and Mail
Type of Fund: Challenges, Competitions or Prizes
Deadline Available: Available
Deadline Date (mm/dd/yyyy): 05/31/2021
Size of the Fund: Not Available
The Globe and Mail’s annual ranking of the country's boldest entrepreneurial businesses is back for a third year in 2021.
The Award recognizes eligible organizations for their efforts in entrepreneurial achievement based on three-year revenue growth.
Winning companies will receive many benefits, including:
• Editorial coverage in the October issue of Report on Business magazine and online at globeandmail.com, providing invaluable exposure to the large and influential audience of The Globe and Mail and Report on Business readers;
• Use of the exclusive Canada’s Top Growing Companies seal, promoting your business as a supplier, partner and employer of choice;
• Invitations to exclusive events built specifically for growth-minded entrepreneurial leaders; and
• Access to a variety of unique business-building opportunities from The Globe and Mail and Report on Business.
Benefits of Participation
Why enter? Participating in the Canada’s Top Growing Companies program is quick, easy and free. And as a winner, you’ll:
• Elevate your business. Being named as one of Canada’s Top Growing Companies will give your business a trusted endorsement that attracts customers, employees, investors and other stakeholders needed to continue your growth.
• Connect with other growth-minded executives at exclusive events (virtual and in-person) designed specifically to help entrepreneurial leaders learn from one another, network and continue to grow, including the Report on Business Growth Camp.
• Strengthen your company’s stature. With editorial coverage by Report on Business—Canada’s most reputable and robust business newsroom—your company will gain invaluable exposure among the engaged and influential business professionals who trust The Globe and Mail.
To be eligible for the 2021 ranking, a company must:
• Be Canadian
o Eligible companies must be headquartered in Canada with significant operations in Canada.
o Eligible companies must have Canadian ownership, defined as follows:
If the company is privately held by individuals, the majority ownership must be held by Canadians.
If the company is privately held by a mix of individuals and investment funds or groups (e.g. pension or venture-capital funds or angel investor syndicates), a substantial percentage of shares must be held by Canadian residents or Canadian-based funds.
If the company is publicly traded and widely held, its eligibility will be at the discretion of Report on Business.
• Be independent and for-profit
o Eligible companies must not be a division or subsidiary of another company, unless that company is a holding company only.
o Eligible companies must operate at an arm’s length from any related companies.
o Eligible companies must not be a franchisee or the member of a network (e.g. a co-operative).
o Eligible companies must not be a charitable organization, non-governmental organization, not-for-profit organization, etc.
• Be an operating company, or a holding company that has a substantial degree of management control over its holdings
o Eligible companies must not be entities whose primary business is investing in other established companies.
• Have been in continuous operation and in the same line of business throughout the revenue measurement period. (For the 2021 ranking, that means 2017 through 2020.)
• Have minimum operating revenue of $2 million in its most recent fiscal year and $200,000 in the same period three years prior. For example, in 2021, an eligible company would have 2020 revenue of at least $2 million and 2017 revenue of at least $200,000.
• Be operating in good standing. They reserve the right to disqualify any businesses undergoing criminal or regulatory investigation, or any other other public complaint, that might discredit the Canada's Top Growing Companies ranking or The Globe and Mail, at our sole discretion.
More information at: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/rob-magazine/top-growing-companies/about-top-growing-companies/