Sponsoring Agency: Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council
Type of Fund: Grant
Deadline Available: Available
Deadline Date (mm/dd/yyyy): 05/05/2021
Size of the Fund: Less than USD $50,000
Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council is seeking applications for its ARG (Discretionary) Restart Grant scheme to support businesses that are ineligible for the Mandatory Restart Grants, and yet have been adversely impacted by restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.
The priorities for this fund are:
• Hospitality and Leisure Businesses (in a commercial premises but without a Rateable Value)
• Non-Essential Retail Businesses (in a commercial premises but without a Rateable Value)
• Suppliers to the Hospitality, Retail or Leisure Sectors; and
• Businesses in the Green Economy (in support of our Climate Change Strategy)
However, this list is not exhaustive and businesses outside of this list are invited to apply.
Indicative funding levels are set out in the policy, but the following is an overview:
• Hospitality and Leisure Businesses (in a commercial premises but without a Rateable Value) – £4,000 to £18,000
• Non-Essential Retail Businesses (in a commercial premises but without a Rateable Value); Suppliers to the Hospitality, Retail or Leisure Sectors; Businesses in the Green Economy – £2,667 to £6,000
• Home-based businesses, taxi drivers (with a TMBC licence), market traders and mobile businesses – £1,000 (up to £1,500 in exceptional circumstances)
• Other businesses in Non-Priority sectors – £1,500 to £5,000
As they have a limited pot of funding of £850,000 and demand is likely to be high, they cannot guarantee that all eligible applicants will receive funding support. Please note also that the funding levels set out in the policy are indicative only and are liable to change.
• For the purposes of this particular scheme the council has decided that funding will be available to the following:
o Businesses that are in priority sectors but are not covered under the Mandatory Restart Grants or businesses that were significantly affected by the restrictions put in place to control the spread of coid-19
o Business with a registered address in the T&MBC area will be eligible for this scheme. Where a business is registered in another council area (although has a presence in the Borough) the council will take a discretionary view on case-by-case basis. In the case of taxi drivers, market traders and mobile businesses, evidence (such as a licence or pitch fees) will be required to show a strong connection to the Tonbridge and Malling area if their home premises are located outside of the Borough area
o Business must be trading (engaged in business activity) and meet other eligibility criteria (there is no starting date from which businesses must have been trading in order to qualify for grant funding).
• Discretionary Grants will be paid subject to State Aid/Subsidy regulations, meaning the business needs to check that they comply with State Aid rules and inform the Council accordingly prior to payment being made. If these rules are breached the responsibility lies with the applicant and, in line with the legislations, the Council can take action to recover the funding.
• Using the ARG (Discretionary) Restart Grants as top-up for businesses that are eligible for the Mandatory Restart Grants will not be permitted. The scheme is only aimed at supporting businesses which are not able to access the Mandatory Restart Grants – either because they are not subject to non-domestic rating or are not in a priority sector as identified by the Mandatory Restart Grants policy, and yet were nonetheless significantly imoacted by the restrictions put in place to control the spread of coid-19’.
More information at: https://www.tmbc.gov.uk/services/business/business-support-and-advice/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-businesses