Sponsoring Agency: Innovate UK
Type of Fund: Grant
Deadline Available: Available
Deadline Date (mm/dd/yyyy): 04/30/2021
Size of the Fund: USD $50,000 to $500,000
UK registered academic institutions, RTOs or Catapults can apply for a share of up to £6 million to fund innovation projects with businesses or not-for-profits.
The Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) scheme allows a UK registered business or not-for-profit organization (which they will refer to collectively as the ‘business partner’ from now on) to partner with a UK higher education (HE) or further education (FE) institution, RTO or Catapult (which they will refer to as the ‘knowledge base partner’).
Your application must be for a specific, strategic innovation project that tackles one or more challenges faced by the business partner. It can be any kind of project, it must show:
• how it helps the business with a real need
• how it fits the strategic aims of the business partner
• there is a genuine market opportunity and route to market
• how the knowledge gained will be embedded within the business partner
• what makes this approach innovative
They will consider partially funding project costs of any amount if they judge the costs to be appropriate. Typically, projects cost no more than £75,000 per year. A proportion of this will be paid by the business partner.
• This award is provided on a no subsidy basis. This means you must publish or make all project outputs openly available on a non-selective basis. If you decide to commercially exploit project outputs, you can only do so with no selective advantage.
• Each KTP is a partnership between the following:
o a UK knowledge base, acting as lead organization and submitting the application
o a UK registered business or not-for-profit organization
• Your project can last between 12 and 36 months, depending on the project requirements.
• KTP does not support projects with public sector organizations.
Knowledge base partner
• The knowledge base partner must lead the project and must:
o be a UK registered higher education (HE) or further education (FE) institution, RTO or Catapult
o invite one UK registered business of any size or not-for-profit organization into the Innovation Funding Service
o invite one knowledge transfer adviser
o not act in any way to gain selective commercial or economic advantage from the outputs of the project
o recruit associate roles in a demonstrably open and fair manner
o allow associates to carry out the majority of the project at the business partner’s premises
o provide academic support for the associate
o make sure the application is completed and submitted before the competition closes
• To collaborate with the knowledge base, the business partner must:
o be a UK registered business, of any size, or a not-for-profit organization
o have more than 2 employees
o demonstrate its ability to financially support its contribution to the project
o accept an invitation from a knowledge base to participate in a project and complete their parts of the application form
o provide a summary of their financial accounts from the past 3 years
o provide supervisory support for the associate
o host the associate
More information at: https://apply-for-innovation-funding.service.gov.uk/competition/890/overview