Sponsoring Agency: World Resources Institute
Deadline Available: Available
Deadline Date (mm/dd/yyyy): 04/11/2021
Size of the Fund: Not Available
The World Resources Institute has launched the third annual Land Accelerator which will be held via virtual meetings and mentorship beginning in mid 2021 and is open to entrepreneurs from across Africa.
In 2018, World Resources Institute (WRI) launched the Land Accelerator Africa, the world’s first training and mentorship program targeted specifically toward businesses that restore degraded forests, farmland, and pasture.
To support the AFR100 Initiative’s goal of restoring 100 million hectares of land by 2030, the Land Accelerator provides entrepreneurs across Africa with mentorship and networking opportunities, technical training, and workshops to build up their storytelling and pitching skills.
In 2021, WRI and their partners at Fledge and AUDA-NEPAD are taking a novel approach to the Land Accelerator Africa. This year, they are expanding the size of their cohort and selecting 100 entrepreneurs from across the continent to join for an all-virtual business creation and growth accelerator. At least 50 of the participants will be under 35 years of age, and/or female company leaders. By the end of the program, entrepreneurs will have accessed the trainings and tools need to complete:
• A compelling one-minute pitch to hook investors, customers, and potential partners
• A 10-12 slide pitch deck targeted towards investors
• An environmental indicator measurement, management, and marketing plan
• A 3-5-year financial model to visualize growth projections and to identify capital needs
• Increased confidence in your business’s mission and operations
• And more!
The Top 100 will benefit from:
• 3 months of exclusive weekly trainings from experts
• 3 months of access to Fledge’s online lessons for start-ups
• Templates to create content to help your business thrive
• Weekly office hours with mentors who will lend their expertise
• Weekly networking sessions to speak with and learn from other entrepreneurs in your cohort
• $5,000 Launchpad grants upon successful completion of the online program
The Top 100 entrepreneurs have the opportunity to apply for a Land Accelerator investment pack, which an expert panel awards to the Top 10 entrepreneurs.
Recipients of the investment packs benefit from:
• A coaching meeting with a Land Accelerator organizer to develop your investment and innovation grant plan
• A 90-minute group session with members of the Land Accelerator mentor network, who will provide tailored feedback
• The opportunity to present your 3-minute business pitch at the virtual Land Accelerator Demo Day, an event that brings together the Top 10 and business and social investors from across the continent.
• Access to additional funding opportunities through the Land Accelerator Alumni Fund
• They welcome applications from businesses based anywhere on the African continent. Applications must be written in either English or French.
• All entrepreneurs whose business model clearly centers around land restoration – through practices such as sustainable agriculture, reforestation, agroforestry – are invited to apply. Businesses whose activities result in the conversion or destruction of natural forests or other ecosystems will not be accepted.
• They seek to scale companies who restore land. Therefore, they prioritize companies that at least have a prototype, if not a product or service in the market with customers. Idea-stage companies may apply, as novel, highly impactful ideas will be considered but the programming is tuned toward growing operational businesses. Small- and medium-sized enterprises that are showing success and in need of growth capital are especially encouraged to apply.
More information at: https://thelandaccelerator.com/apply/africa/