Sponsoring Agency: WasteAid
Type of Fund: Challenges, Competitions or Prizes
Deadline Available: Available
Deadline Date (mm/dd/yyyy): 06/19/2021
Size of the Fund: Less than USD $50,000
Win €10,000 for your circular economy innovation and help close the loop on waste across cities in India, South Africa and Vietnam for good.
This three-city challenge is looking for innovative ways to address the impact of waste and climate change by incorporating circular economy design. Engineers, designers, creative entrepreneurs and environmental champions are invited to look at ways in which products and services can reduce single-use items and non-recyclable materials, keep products and materials in use for longer, and improve segregated waste collection and recycling.
The competition is part of a programme to encourage a circular economy and inclusive livelihood opportunities in the named cities. The winners will be business ideas that increase resource efficiency and reduce waste.
The Zero Waste Cities Challenge is a circular economy competition being delivered by the WasteAid Circular Economy Network, with funding support from Huhtamaki.
They are looking for
Your innovation needs to contribute to at least one of the three pillars of a circular economy while providing livelihood opportunities for disadvantaged people in your community.
• Design out waste and pollution: Waste and pollution aren’t accidents, but the result of how people design things. That’s why they are seeking solutions that don’t create waste or pollution in the first place.
• Keep products and materials in use: Wasting resources is no longer an option. So, they are on the lookout for circular initiatives that keep products and materials in use rather than dumping or burning them.
• Regenerate natural systems: In nature, there is no such thing as waste. Through initiatives that return nutrients to the soil and regenerate natural systems, the earth’s natural resources will also prosper.
• Win one of six €10,000 cash prizes
o Win up to €10,000 in seed funding to strengthen your circular economy initiative. There are a total of six cash prizes up for grabs, with two winners in each location.
• Tailored business support
o Become one of 12 shortlisted candidates across each city and gain intensive business support to strengthen your proposal with technical expertise tailored to your needs.
• Improve your pitch skills
o Securing funding can be scary but is vital to your success. After making it onto the shortlist, you’ll get professional support to polish your pitching skills for the future.
• The competition is open to any entrant based in the three hub countries: South Africa, India and Vietnam. However, your idea has to be implemented in the named hub city of that country: Johannesburg, Guwahati and Ho Chi Minh CIty only.
• Operational businesses are welcome to enter. Whilst large organisations are not excluded from entering the competition, please note that smaller businesses will be prioritised.
• Ideas from an individual are welcome. The criteria which your proposed business plan should include, to be approved for the competition, are outlined on the entry form.
• You may enter up to three suitable business ideas.
More information at: https://circulareconomynetwork.co/challenge/