Sponsoring Agency: EIT Climate-KIC
Type of Fund: Accelerator, Incubation, Mentorship and/or Training
Deadline Available: Available
Deadline Date (mm/dd/yyyy): 04/22/2021
Size of the Fund: Less than USD $50,000
Applicants are invited to apply for the ClimateLaunchpad program that provides an opportunity for entrepreneurs and start-ups to connect to a global network of investors, accelerators and market opportunities. Structured as a competition, ClimateLaunchpad provides training, mentoring and pitching opportunities at a state, national and global level to help participants grow their concept into a sustainable business. Supporting early stage start-ups in the clean-tech, circular economy, ag-tech, environmental or climate impact fields.
Humanitech, their major prize partner, is generously offering a $50,000 development grant for an emerging tech idea coming out of ClimateLaunchpad Australia. The grant will support the successful team to pilot their concept within the Australian Red Cross operations along with other partners in the humanitarian sector.
ClimateLaunchpad is the world’s largest and most successful preaccelerator program for climate start-ups. Its mission is to unlock the global potential for cleantech to address climate change and help to fast track ideas into businesses. ClimateLaunchpad is part of the global entrepreneurship offerings of EIT Climate-KIC, the EU’s main climate innovation initiative. In Australia, the program is run by Climate-KIC Australia and utilises internationally renowned trainers, alongside coaches, mentors and judges from Australia’s innovation ecosystem. ClimateLaunchpad is well regarded for its high-quality curriculum and its ability to connect directly to global networks.
• Call for applications: Apply with your green business idea online. It doesn’t matter if your idea is still on the back of a napkin or if you have already registered a business: they are looking for potential climate impact and scalability, all the rest you’ll get during your training. Cohorts of 8-10 start-ups (2-5 people in each team) are selected.
• Online course: Successful applicants undertake online modules to provide a base level of understanding of entrepreneurship.
• Boot camp: Intensive bootcamps are led by certified ClimateLaunchpad coaches who will teach you all you need to know about commercialising your business idea. Each team develops a professional, fully-realised pitch-deck and gains capability to take their business idea to start-up stage.
• Webinars: A series of webinars help teams test with real customers and refine their business model, value proposition and pitch. The webinars are delivered by alumni who have gone on to build successful start-ups.
• Pitch panels: A chance to pitch in front of renowned judges and unlock opportunities to pathways to market. The top-rated teams proceed to the National final.
• Mentoring: National finalists are matched to an expert mentor to help them prepare for the Final and further improve their business concept and communication.
• National final: At the National Final, teams pitch to industry renowned judges. Startups connect to local investors, accelerators and corporate partners.
• Regional final: The top teams in Australia pitch alongside the best teams from SE Asia for a coveted spot in the global finals. Start-ups connect to regional investors, accelerators and corporate partners.
• Global final: The top teams from the region proceed to the Global Grand Final and the chance to present at the premier clean tech start-up event in the world. Teams connect to global investment and partnership opportunities.
How it works
• Train: Learn all you can on how to successfully start your green business. ClimateLaunchpad kicks off with an intensive Boot Camp & follow-up coaching sessions.
• Compete: Present your investor-ready pitch deck at State pitch nights, National Finals and the Global Grand Final. Convince their jury and you’ll convince any client or investor.
• Launch: Yep, of course there are prizes and pathways for the Global Grand Final winners. The real prize? Networking opportunities and a chance to find your first customer or investor.
• The competition is open to any Australian resident, 18 years and older, with an innovative cleantech or green business idea – whether it’s fully fledged or sketched on the back of a coaster. As an early-stage start-up, small- to medium-sized enterprise, researcher, student, public organisation, consultant or anyone else you’re welcome.
• They encourage you to apply as a team of at least 2 people. You don’t have a team mate, yet? You can still apply and if successful invite a colleague or friend to attend the Boot Camp with you.
• You can not enter ClimateLaunchpad if you’ve already been accepted into EIT Climate-KIC Accelerator or have participated in ClimateLaunchpad with the same business idea in a previous year.
• You can enter if:
o you have not yet started a business or your company has been incorporated for less than a year (definition: your legal entity does not exist for more than 1 year);
o you have attracted less than € 200.000 in investment (definition: no funding as a venture. Funding as a student is not counted);
o you have not yet sold products, solutions or prototypes on commercial terms.
More information at: https://climate-kic.org.au/clp21/