Sponsoring Agency: Government of Makueni County
Type of Fund: Challenges, Competitions or Prizes
Deadline Available: Available
Deadline Date (mm/dd/yyyy): 04/30/2021
Size of the Fund: Less than USD $50,000
Government of Makueni County in collaboration with their partners is running Makueni Innovation challenge whose aim is to catalyze the growth of startups, so as to amplify and consolidate the gains of the region’s digital innovative ecosystem. The theme for this year’s event is “Economic Recovery amidst Covid-19”.
The Makueni Innovation Challenge is organized by Makueni County through Makueni Innovation Hub.
Applications to compete will be entered as detailed startup profiles which describe the customer pain, the startups solution, revenue streams, team composition and commitment, market traction, short-term projections and milestones among other aspects. The overall startup profile will be used by the competition judges who will mostly be investors to score the potential of the startup to become a sustainable high growth enterprise.
The Finalists will be categorized and each category will feature five finalists who will pitch to an audience of Investors, Development Partners, Government Representatives, Operators and other key stakeholders from Kenya. The finalists will receive training and coaching on how to pitch to investors.
• The challenge will provide awards to winners for different categories, with the overall winner getting Kshs. 260,000
• The selected finalists will get a chance to participate in the incubation program
• The selected innovators will get opportunity to partner find ways of improving the economy amidst covid-19.
• The selected finalists will get a chance to showcase their solution to investors
• Individuals, Startup teams working on innovative solutions on economic recovery amidst Covid19 pandemic.
The Competition is open to all innovator’s resident in Kenya.
The Finalists will be categorized and each category will feature five finalists who will pitch to an audience of Investors, Development Partners, Government Representatives, Operators and other key stakeholders from Kenya. The projects will need to have clear indicators showing the impact of the project with a user perspective. Successful projects will need to be delivered within one year. The finalists will receive training and coaching on how to pitch to investors.
Application Eligibility Criteria
• Open to early stage innovators-can be an individual or group from the participating regions
• Groups encouraged to apply
• Your idea must be innovative and unique
• Idea must clearly describe ways the project will continue beyond the challenge potential to scale
• The idea must be realistic and logical (proof of concept)
• Idea must fall within the theme of the challenge
• Originality and relevance of concept
• Completeness of Solution
• Use of technology
• Usefulness/ Feasibility
• Innovation Challenge Impact
More information at: https://innovations.makueni.go.ke/applicant_portal.php?cypher_req=page&id=16